A new poll conducted by the Associated Press – NORC Center for Public Affairs Research in conjunction with Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights has found that upwards of 60 percent of Americans no longer trust the mainstream media to provide them with honest information.
Three out of every five Americans, according to the poll, directly blame the establishment media for spreading “misinformation” – even as these very same fake news outlets claim to be fighting against it.
Nine out of 10 Americans agree that the spread of misinformation in today’s world has become a serious problem, but this is the first time we have gotten a glimpse into the sheer number of people who see official news sources as the culprits, rather than just social media users and independent media outlets.
Another major problem in the corporate-controlled media is political polarization. Real news is unbiased, not taking sides, and yet most of today’s “news” pushes either right-wing content or left-wing content – meaning the agenda is more important than the truth.
Three out of four Americans say the media is responsible for all this polarization, while just under half say they no longer have any faith in the media to report the news accurately or fairly.
(Related: Remember when the state of Connecticut created a new lucrative government position to censor “misinformation” and “false” posts from social media?)
Less than one in five Americans still trust the media to report the truth
Just 16 percent of the country, or less than one in five people, still watch the news and believe what is being reported. The other 84 percent say the media is mostly a joke, while just under half say they believe almost nothing that the media reports.
Concerning the intentions of the media with all of its slanted reporting, one in five poll participants say they believe the media, whichever way it leans, is still trying to protect the nation’s democratic republic. Four in 10, conversely, said they believe the media is trying to hurt the country with its reporting.
As you might expect, Democrats tend to be more trusting of the media than Republicans. An overwhelming 61 percent of Republicans believe the media is trying to harm the country, while only 23 percent of Democrats agree with this assessment.
“Majorities across party lines say the news media fuels political division, but Republicans are much more likely than Democrats to say that’s happening a lot,” the poll states.
In recent years, public trust in national news has plummeted, particularly after Donald Trump was elected president and exposed much of it as a farce.
Back in February, another poll found that half of the country believes the national media is purposely trying to mislead, misinform, and persuade the public to believe lies, while only 35 percent believe that most major news organizations are trustworthy.
Thirty-five percent of respondents in that same poll indicated that national news outlets like CNN, MSNBC, NPR, the Washington Post, and Politico care more about pushing a cultural activism agenda than with simply reporting the news based on the interests of readers, viewers, or listeners.
One recent example involves Hunter Biden and his laptop scandal, also known as the “laptop from hell.” An astounding 15 percent of establishment media personalities tried to claim that this revelation was “Russian propaganda,” even though The New York Times later confirmed its authenticity.
“Recent polling shows 79 percent of Americans say former President Donald Trump would have won reelection in 2020 if Hunter’s laptop had been known to voters,” reports indicate. “Seventy-one percent of Americans believe accurate reporting of Hunter’s laptop could have altered the 2020 presidential election.”
More related news coverage can be found at NewsCartels.com.
Sources for this article include:
Read full article here